Thursday, May 23, 2013

Two Small Table Makeovers

My Uncle Art died a long time ago. I want to say 1990. For some reason, this little nightstand came home with me back then – it had lived in his bathroom, of all places, holding extra toilet paper and towels if I remember.
CAM00978
The Patriarch has used it as his nightstand for years, but admit it: this is uuggg-ly. And our bed is way higher than this chest, too. This was one of the first projects I decided on when I was plotting my Nefarious Trip Plot.
Painted it with Annie Sloan “Old Ochre” left over from the kitchen, Mod Podged an old map of Jamaica I’d “vintaged” with color manipulation and editing out the airports ( :-) ), distressed it, clear waxed it, painted the shiny brass handles with Rustoleum’s “Oil Rubbed Bronze” spray paint, added legs from Home Depot, then aged it some more with Annie Sloan dark wax. The lamp is one I picked up at Goodwill and painted with Annie Sloan “Graphite” and added a Walmart shade:
CAM01030
CAM01029
The second table I also picked up at Goodwill. Marked $7 because it was kind of scratched up:
CAM00986  
I painted it Annie Sloan 2 Paris Grey to 1 Graphite, then Mod Podged (yes, I know, I’ve got a theme party here) a graphic on the top where I removed the original center and added “Shady Fifth” in French in the center, and again with the aging with dark wax:
CAM01020
CAM01022
All graphics used in these projects (crates as well) are from The Graphics Fairy – visit her for more free wonderful graphics than you can ever use. 

1 comment:

caulistats said...

Wow, both of those tables are very much improved! And I tend to be a "leave-wood-as-is" girl, too! :-) Maybe my tastes are just changing....