Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Déjà vu

Another Tuesday, another medical appointment, another goat with ligaments gone and an “udder boom”.

I didn’t cancel this appointment – it was another biopsy – and Selkie thankfully didn’t deliver while I was gone.

But she did deliver around 11pm.

Another single doe.

And to my amazement, the little doe seemed at first to be a twin to Butternut!

CAM00527

This morning the better light reveals differences. This little girl is brown-eyed and while she has some of the gold that Butternut has, now that she’s dry her appearance is more of an all-over cream rather than spotted like Butternut.

CAM00528

This birth wasn’t quite as straightforward, as hooves weren’t presenting, which is the preferred birth position. I had to play James Herriot and “go in” although in a very minor and simple way. The hooves were immediately available, just tangled up a bit. I won’t get too graphic – just felt like a little baby step in learning and everything worked well. I had been a bit worried that the Versed wouldn’t have worn off enough, and if my biopsy had been later in the day, I don’t know what would have happened.

We’re debating names again. I might just scoop off a couple of the more adamant among the name-suggesters, we’ll see. I was pondering incorporating “Blue” somewhere in her name, since many an offspring of Blue Delilah, Selkie’s mother and BlueSummerStorm’s great-grandmother, have “Blue” in their names. I’ll post when we know, and have better pictures, but for now I’m going to curl up on the couch, nurse my Versed headache, and catch my breath! Just think, we’ll be doing this again next year at this time . . .

2 comments:

Kristin said...

Yeah!! Congrats on another doeling.

What a cutie :-)

We had a dog named Bluebonnet at one time. That would be cute. We also lived in TX at the time.
OR Blue Belle.

-K

Kimberly said...

Thanks Kristin! Bluebonnet is cute :-). I'm already such a rabid fangirl over on "This Goat's Life", though, that if I named her Blue Belle the poor blogger would start getting scared of me ;-).