Wednesday, April 27, 2011

A Different Easter

Our Easter celebration was all jumbly this year. Little Tarquin was sick with something that had him throwing up all day, poor guy; he was so looking forward to wearing his new little vest and tie to church. While the rest of the family attended church, Tarquin lay on the cold floor by me, wanting me to sing Easter hymns over and over while I potted up the last tomatoes. I really don’t understand that floor thing. He’s not the first of our children to prefer lying on the floor while sick. Tarquin wouldn’t even let me put a blanket down first – the couple of times I tried to move him onto one, he weakly got up and moved to a new patch of floor, so I finally negotiated a pillow and let him be.

033 Everyone else – I don’t know what I said to make them all laugh, but look at the Patriarch looking at me like he’s a little concerned for my sanity!

It just so happened that Easter was also the Patriarch’s birthday this year. I asked him, “Has that ever happened to you before?” Not that I didn’t believe his “no” answer, but I googled it and the last time that happened was in 1859! He had a birthday request list up on the fridge (we do this with both gift ideas and desired menu for the day), and a couple of days before his birthday he took a Sharpie, lined out a few gift ideas, and inserted “4. Sleep  5. Sleep”. Poor guy. So when they got home from church, he did a couple of errands, opened his gifts, and went to bed at something like 4pm.

078

He’s showing us his reggae birthday shoes here – he does his own shopping and we all pretend we bought the stuff – but this was cool: he found this pair of Nikes on sale, but they were just the black with the red and yellow logo. After thinking about it awhile, he found a webbed Jamaican-color belt and took it into the shoe repair guy we use, who stitched them to both sides of the shoes. Love that!

He requested his favorite carrot cake, and we made a double batch to send cupcakes for our church’s potluck Sunday (fortunately the theme was “Sunday Brunch”). His favorite is from Martha Stewart’s Baking Handbook, called “Ginger Carrot Cupcakes” with “Orange Cream Cheese Frosting”. We haven’t successfully converted it to gluten-free yet, but I’ll post if we do, because this is such a yummy recipe. He only likes a tiny bit of frosting

018

But that worked well, as we then had enough to pipe the cupcakes:

013 Clara and Sophia did the little gumpaste carrots

He requested Brown Stew Fish for his birthday dinner and slept right through dinner, so Sophia and I made it the next evening with the assistance of our new BFF on youtube (Tracy, I’m talkin’ about you). Love being able to just pause and chop, see just how the item is supposed to look, etc:

116

The Patriarch was perfectly satisfied with this rendition of Brown Stew Fish, so I’m happy – my previous forays into Jamaican cooking haven’t been quite as successful. Sophia has a fish soup that he likes, too, but mostly the Patriarch does his own Jamaican food.

And happily, Tarquin is all the way back to better by now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Belated Birthday to Patriarch. The cupcakes were adorable, and I'll bet that fish stew was yummy!

caulistats said...

LOVE the family photo, with all the children laughing and that great expression on Patriarch's face! And what great "home-designed" shoes.

Agree about the cupcakes being adorable! Such cute carrots on top!