Friday, August 6, 2010

Remodel Day 6: Our Car Reads This Blog

Today is payday, so I was looking at The List and thinking, “Hmmm . . . gallon of paint? Sink and faucet? What first?”. Little did I know that the evil chuckling noise coming from the direction of the driveway was our car. Our appliances in general are very talented in eavesdropping for hints of refunds, rebates, any extra cash. They then conspire to keel over in a melodramatic death, thus the “extra” cash goes ::poof::. I’m sure you can see where this is going. The car apparently found out about our spending plans and thought it would be a spiffy time to get himself a shiny brand new starter. Isn’t that a fun way to spend money? Could be worse, but it will make things tight enough that for a couple of weeks I’ll still be working on the tasks on The List that don’t require any money.

But in happier news, I did finish removing the last of the popcorn. The ceiling is paint-ready and it’s only 3 pm! I’m so glad to be done, too, as my arm and neck wouldn’t have lasted much longer in that position. I’d put a picture here but I’m thinking you know what the bare ceiling looks like by now.

I think for the rest of the day I’ll get rid of paperwork. The Patriarch, bless him, is not a paperwork-tosser and if you’d like to know what we paid for our water bill in March of 1995, well, it’s in there somewhere. So I’ll sit down on the newly cleaned screened porch with a big glass of water and the shredder and a jumbo stack of paper and go to it. Won’t that feel great to have done? This house is losing weight and it feels good :-).

1 comment:

caulistats said...

Sorry to hear about your covetous car. :-( But nice work on the popcorn ceiling!

Did you get much shredding done? Did the neighbors enjoy it? ;-) I did a bit of shredding tonight myself... mostly medical stuff from the mid- to late-'80s and early '90s, plus five years' worth of NWNG stubs. :-) (I think I already purged the other five years.)